4.23.2009

the first dance

I doubt that we are alone in our anxiety about dancing that special first dance at our wedding. But, I daresay that we ARE the first same-sex couple that has taken dance lessons at the local Arthur Murray Dance Studio in our hometown. Last night was our first lesson, and I am delighted to report that everyone at the dance studio couldn’t have been sweeter to us. I let the receptionist know that we were two girls when I called to schedule, so our instructor, Diana, was all smiles and ready for us.

The biggest decision we had to make all night was which of us would dance the lead (typically the guy part) and which of us would follow (typically the girl part). Originally, I said I would lead but when I realized that only the follower gets to twirl around, I changed my mind. In our first lesson, we learned the basic step for the foxtrot and the rumba. We did bring a couple of songs with us, which apparently is a great idea if you are taking lessons for a specific occasion.

Our package includes private lessons as well as group lessons. One initial concern was that people often change partners during the group lessons – we didn’t want that to be uncomfortable for us or for others. The receptionist assured us that their clientele are “not drama queens,” and that she doubted anyone cared either way. So, I’ll keep you posted.

Polish up your dancing skills, people – we are going to tear up the floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment